[ale] SDN in the home paper

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed May 29 08:39:16 EDT 2019

I'm trying to research alternatives to Ubiquiti's UniFi product line
because they don't currently support bandwidth usage history recording, and
don't seem to be adding it in any sort of hurry, and came across this paper
-- https://www.cogentoa.com/article/10.1080/23311916.2018.1469949/references
. It's a survey of some 40+ articles that are looking into how Software
Defined Networking (which is what the UniFi line really is) can be used in
the home. I'm about 10 pages into this paper and am noticing a disturbing
theme I thought you guys would be interested in: the surveyed papers seem
to lean toward shunting off the controller to the ISP. Want to enable QoS
for streaming video and VoIP? No problem. Just let the ISP inspect your
traffic and provide you with new tiers of service priced accordingly.

This is not the rabbit hole I was hoping to find.

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)