[ale] Ubiquiti Security Gateway Pro

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun May 5 13:07:19 EDT 2019

In another thread opinions were asked about what we all use and I replied
that I use a home built router with pfSense. Thinking more about the topic,
I'm not really doing anything special with my router except keeping a
bandwidth usage log (
https://www.dropbox.com/s%2Fxmpp2xev1hpyraf%2F2019-05-05-traffic-totals.png.png%3Fdl%3D0).
Outside of that, the things I do with my router are:

1. Whitelist certain devices to do whatever shenanigans they need to do
with UPnP/NAT-PMP (specifically the finicky Xbox One)
2. Bridge wireless to wired networks for shared resources (e.g. printing)
3. Provide an ACME endpoint for maintaining the Let's Encrypt cert for my
home address

Given all of that, do any of you have experience with Ubiquiti's gateway (
https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/unifi-security-gateway-pro)?
Would it handle all of the above, plus provide a VPN endpoint? I'm thinking
it would be nice to switch to this device so that I can repurpose my router
into a VM server.

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)