[ale] Best VPN for Edgerouter?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Jun 5 22:56:29 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 10:25:24PM -0400, Derek Atkins via Ale wrote:
> I feel my options are pptp, l2tp/ipsec, and openvpn.  Each option has
> plusses and minuses. I think pptp is probably not secure enough.  L2tp has
> double encapsulation and might be too easy to block when traveling.  And
> openvpn needs a lot of extra config and might be slower (or so I've read).
> What would you all use, and why?

I have OpenVPN set up with a full private CA, allowing two private
networks to speak to each other across a 400 mile gap, a third mobile
network to see both, and random client devices (eg my laptop) to get in
on the action too..

It generally JustWorks(tm), but in my travels OpenVPN has a tendency to
get blocked by networks controlled by repressive regimes (eg China in
general, and many public hotspots..)

SSL-based VPNs as used by $BigNetworkVendors tend to work more reliably
in the face of hostile networks, but are _much_ more of a PITA to set
up and maintain.

That said, in about three weeks I'm relocating, and as part of the
general upheaval from that I will be replacing my OpenVPN setup with
the vastly simpler Wireguard.  It's faster too, but my internet
connections don't have the bandwidth for that to be much of a
consideration..

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^