[ale] My experiences switching GoDaddy to GreenGeeks

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Feb 26 17:02:00 EST 2019

The key to successfully moving off GoDaddy:
1) Be sure the Registrant email listed for the domain at GoDaddy is current.   (Note if you change it they'll lock you for 60 days - If your timeline is a few months out now would be a good time to change it.)
2) Be sure to "unlock" the domain for transfer at GoDaddy before doing anything else.  If they get a transfer request while it is locked they won't let you unlock it for 60 days.
3) Get the authorization (a/k/a EPP) code for transfer from GoDaddy.
4) Request the transfer at your new Registrar (i.e. not at GoDaddy).
5) New Registrar will request the authorization code.  Give them the one you got from GoDaddy.
6) Both GoDaddy and new Registrar will send emails to the Registrant.   Be sure anything you click on is to "accept" the transfer.

As noted by others here GoDaddy will immediately discontinue any services (web hosting, email etc...) associated with the domain when the transfer starts.   The only thing that goes through on transfers is your DNS servers (assuming you're not using GoDaddy itself for DNS - if you are using GoDaddy they'll point you to their parked page and all your records will go away.)