[ale] HDD Locked Up - Wife business pics in it!

Sergio Chaves sergio.chaves at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 12:30:59 EST 2019

So, here is where I am now...
After trying several things, I ended up using a USB docking station ( bios
in two PCs gave me errors and failed to boot as SATA). I then loaded an
older version of lubuntu (CentOS 7 and both Ubuntu 18.4 and Mint "Tina"
failed to mount it regardless of what I tried) and created a file
"ignore_uas.conf" in the modprobe.d following the directions here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029544/seagate-2t-external-hard-drive-can-not-be-mounted-detected-by-lsusb-but-not-by/1184394#1184394

I was then able to see the drive.
The dd command says "error reading /dev/sdb : Input/Output error"

SMARTCTL says:
Failing attribute-32
Failing attribute-48
Pre-Fail (but OK status) attribute-51
Attributes 105, 120, 127, and 254 = Old-Age but with an OK status.
Attribute 255 = Pre-Fail and with a "Failed in the Past" status

Help?