[ale] GRE Ethernet bridge on the same eth0 as transport

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Aug 22 17:39:16 EDT 2019

Is it possible to bridge eth0 to a GRE tunnel if eth0 is also the path the the Internet?

I have a device at a remote location that is NOT the router. I want ot create a segment at home that will be attached to that remote network. I don't want to bridge my home network so the device here will have eth0 on 192.168.1/24 and eth1 will be the "switch port" off the remote LAN of 10.1.10/24. I'll then connect eth1 to a 5 port switch. Any device connected to that 5 port switch will have no access to 192.168.1/24 and all DHCP requests will be answered by the router at the remote site.

Neither of these can ping each other now, but they both do tunnel into a device at Peak10. Once they can ping, I can use those addresses as the GRE local/remote.

What this would mean that if it were possible to use eth0 as the transport and the bridge because GRE is smart enough to not try to send tunnel packets across the bridge it may not be so when those GRE packets are actually in a data segment of a VPN packet going out eth0. These two devices tunnel interface is ppp100 on each. No tun0, not tap0.

It may be required on the remote end that I attach a USB Ethernet to give me eth1, apply no 10.1.10/24 IP to it, and attach it to the switch there. Finally, I bridge gre0 and eth1 to be br1. That may work with the VPN because GRE will have no clue that it is really going out eth0 because the VPN segment is 10.0.20/24. I'd prefer not to have to drive to Alpharetta to attach a dongle. :)

Chris