[ale] [OT] Is there a programmer's equivalent to the ALE mailing list?

Scott M. Jones eff at dragoncon.org
Thu Aug 15 09:08:51 EDT 2019

"what are some disciplines to digest a large code base"

- Top-down
- Bottom-up
- "Spiral": Pick one feature to focus on first, work your way out from
there.
- Open source: Clone a copy, change stuff, see what happens and where.
** Set up the complete tool chain for building as a starting point.
This is always the biggest PITA of ANY project.  Bonus points to any
project that has this process well documented.
- Ask, ask, ask in the appropriate venue
- Open source projects nearly always need help, as long as someone is
actively working on them.
- Know/learn the function of the product/service completely (all use
cases) before starting.

"how do you inspire other coders to join a project"

- All source completely open
- Working code, easy to demo
- "Cool" factor (hard to define)
- Remove all barriers to entry (i.e. document tool chain setup for
contributors)
- Code of Conduct once the project starts to attract contributors
- Web site (or README at a minimum) that completely and succinctly
describes the value proposition.  This is where marketing comes in.
You're not selling a product, you're building a team.

You always learn more from doing a project than reading a book.  Find an
itch and scratch it.