[ale] Somewhat on Topic: Linux/cPanel Spam Assassin Filters - got to be a better way....

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Tue Aug 13 11:54:55 EDT 2019

So, it's my impression that moving my linux/email hosting from GoDaddy
to GreenGeeks has resulted in less effective spam control.

The basic Spam Assassin appears to be fooled by more subtle commercial
Email Chimp programs.  In my cPanel
Global Email Filters, I have about 30 Filters at present that do a
fairly decent job.

Here is the kind of stuff that gets through:

         terminix_mosquito_control at resolutionmodels.com
         terminix-mosquito-control at resolutionmodels.com
         terminixmosquitocontrol at resolutionmodels.com

         timesharefreedom at cs15.net
         timeshare-freedom at cs15.net
         timeshare_freedom at cs15.net

         liberty_mutual_insurance at certainlyimportant.com
         lifeinsurancenet.info at rationalguidingspirit.com

These use an ever-rotating set of apparently legitimate domain names,
and the rest of the sender address evolves a bit too.

Sometimes I can filter based on subject.  The spam engines appear to
have evolved to create emails that look legitimate to Spam Assassin.

I can filter for "From contains liberty" and "From contains mutual" and
"From contains insurance".  But at
some point I'm spending 30 minutes each day writing new filters.

What would make far more sense is something that can read my junk folder
contents for the day, which has emails I have decided are junk, and
knowing the patterns this stuff uses, make up a file of additional
cPanel filters.  Then if there was an import, bam.  Done.

BTW, the server is running Linux blah-blah
3.10.0-962.3.2.lve1.5.24.8.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jan 4 06:55:54 EST 2019
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

regards,

Neal