[ale] printer recommendation needed

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Aug 3 08:43:04 EDT 2019

I barely print anything except tax stuff anymore.

Been using a $50 10+ yr old usb2 connected Samsung ML-1540 laser which has
native support in most distros.  It is point-n-click to setup the printer on
other machines using the normal Gnome-Printing GUI, just pick ML-1740 as the
driver.  CUPS provides an IPP network interface for the rest of the LAN.

I also have a $50 10+ yr old usb2 connected Brother All-in-One MFC-240c color
inkjet, but it was bought without any intention to ever add ink. It is an
automatic page scanner and fax machine in my world.  The scanning part works
with gscan2pdf as the GUI. Scanning to any image format you want is possible
too.  I can't remember how hard getting the scanning to work was. It was a long
time ago, but Brother stuff isn't hard.
At this point, I'd probably just setup a KVM VM with USB passthru to run purely
for scanning needs so I never need deal with that again in the next 30 yrs.

If I needed color printing, I'd definitely get a color laser printer. I would
avoid wifi and only use wired ethernet, if a networked printer is mandatory.
IPP would be the protocol I wanted, but I haven't looked at other printer
protocols in at least 15 yrs.