[ale] Local File Storage options

Calvin Harrigan calvin.harrigan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 12:14:35 EDT 2019

Hi all,

     I've found myself in a situation where I need to share several
large partitions on a single machine across Windows 10 and Linux (ubuntu
18.04)

What would be the best filesystem option for sharing read/write access
to these partitions?  I thought about using NTFS with ntfs-3g under
linux, but because of the proprietary nature of NTFS, I'm reluctant.
I'm afraid of catastrophic filesystem failure in the event of a driver
error.  Is VFAT(fat32) a viable option?  It officially has a limit of
32GB, though I know it can go as high as 2TB.  It offers no features of
a modern filesystem though.  EXT4 doesn't have a practical driver based
solution for windows.  There are programs like Ext2Fsd, but I have the
same issues with it as I do with ntfs-3g.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks