[ale] VLANs and logging

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Apr 17 10:56:56 EDT 2019

The plan was always to use managed switches to isolate the VLANs (I
already have them) but I  was mainly trying to sort out the missing
links.  I only have one DHCP server but it's not at the router, it's a
separate machine that also handles DNS.  Similarly the logging server
with the big drive is also independent of the router.  Currently the
router is a small computer with a pair of USB NICs though I could be
convinced to replace it with something like a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter if
that was part of the solution.

The things that complicated the layout were the fact that sometimes some
devices need to talk to others.  For example, the phones and other VoIP
devices have web management interfaces so I have to be able to reach
them from one of my desktop machines.  The desktop machines live on one
VLAN and the phones another.  The same thing happens to the cameras
where I need to access their video feeds or their web interfaces
 from a desktop computer.  At the same time I wouldn't want the cameras
being able to initiate a connection to a device outside of the VLAN.

One thing I wasn't sure about is whether some of these devices were
going to need to be multihomed with multiple IPs hanging off trunk ports
on the switches or if I could do something smarter than that.
Multihoming some of the devices would be hard to do.  One example are
the cell phones which I do use to view the cameras, visit internal
server pages, and also a VoIP softphone when I'm on WiFi to link with
the rest of the VoIP system.  When I'm out and about the VPN server has
to handle that and making that multihomed is probably an exercise in
drinking.

The guest network and IoT network were actually the only straightforward
parst of this mess.  Each was going to be isolated from the other and
neither was going to be able to communicate with the other VLANs (the
IoT network is specifically for devices like the TV that would need a
connection out to video services but I don't need to talk to the TV
myself).  It's all my other stuff that's harder simply because I have
these cross-over cases.