[ale] SELF call for speakers closes tomorrow, some speakers announced, LUG care packages

George P. Burdell info+lug at southeastlinuxfest.org
Tue Apr 16 14:08:47 EDT 2019

The SouthEast LinuxFest call for speakers closes tomorrow (submit here:
https://goo.gl/forms/BOwy2tthvoWloOCv2 ).  SELF is June 14-16 this year,
once again at the Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel in Charlotte, NC.  As
far as topics, SELF is highly community oriented, so we love to showcase
LUG talent throughout the southeast.  In specific, here's what polled well
with our audience:

Information Security (Pentesting, Defensive Strategies, Exploit Response,
etc) (4.96)
Homelab (Homebrew Firewall/NAS/Servers/etc) (4.95)
Systems Administration and Orchestration (4.88)
Network Administration/Networking (4.76)
Open Source A/V (Kdenlive, Blender, Audacity, etc) (4.69)
Python (4.61)
Smart Home and IoT (4.39)
Smarter You (Body Hacks, Organization, Ergonomics, etc) (4.24)
DevOps (4.20)
Golang (4.11)
Database Administration (4.09)
Community (Building, Org, Outreach, etc) (4.02)

But if you have something cool not listed, don’t be discouraged! We welcome
all kinds of content, and have had popular talks on WWI Battleships,
Ergonomics, Knitting, and more. If it’s geeky, we’re listening.

In addition, SELF has announced the first keynote this year:  Long Term
Trends in Open Source by Eric S. Raymond:  It’s been 22 years since “The
Cathedral and the Bazaar”. Where we’ve been might tell us something about
where we’re going. Today’s challenges include the ephemeralization of
computers, the decline of C, open hardware, and increasingly dangerous
information monopolies. What’s a hacker to do?

And we will definitely have some LUG care boxes this year of swag to
giveaway at meetings, including some of the SELF 10th Anniversary giant
sticker collections.  If you'll be at SELF on Sunday June 16th, please
contact us at info at southeastlinuxfest.org so we can arrange a box for your
LUG.

Cheers, and hope to see you there!