[ale] Why would a uverse ethernet work but not a switch?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Apr 11 10:41:12 EDT 2019

Hi,

Just to add fuel to the fire...  When this first failed I acquired a
second switch.  If I put that switch between the router and the far room
then everything works!!

So, I have:

  router - switch - <wall wires> - switch - TV and Uverse Box

and both the TV and the Uverse Box are working fine.

(I still have a second Uverse box and my ATA plugged directly into the
router)

WEIRD.  But it DOES lend credence to some sort of firmware update.

-derek

On Thu, April 11, 2019 10:13 am, Derek Atkins via Ale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alex Carver via Ale <ale at ale.org> writes:
>
>> It might still be a firmware update that at first didn't have VLAN
>> support and then later did.
>>
>> If you want to really test it, gather everything up together in one
>> location and replicate the configuration you have (TV + Router into
>> switch, switch into modem) with short patch cables.  If all works well
>> then yes you've got a broken wire in the infrastructure wiring.  If it
>> doesn't work you've got a VLAN problem.
>
> When I connect the switch directly to the router locally, the link
> lights up (i.e, I get blinky lights both on the router and on the switch).
>
> When I connect the switch through the wall, the link lights do NOT
> illuminate, either on the switch or on the router.
>
> A VLAN misconfiguration would not cause this behavior.
>
>> It's also strange to see that your in-wall wiring is two pairs but wired
>> to 8p8c jacks?  Is it unshielded twisted pair (CAT3) or is it a bundled
>> run (straight wire) meant only for voice (in which case it should have
>> been using 6p4c/RJ12 connectors).
>
> There are many many pairs of wires in there.  It's probably cat3 cable,
> but there are probably 5-6 pairs in there.  There is a single cable with
> many pairs that goes into the box in the other room, and two pairs are
> connected to the RJ45.
>
> They need to use a 8p jack because it is ETHERNET.  Remember that at
> least 100BaseT only requires 2 pairs, and I think GigE also only
> requires 2 pairs.
>
> I just don't understand why the switch is unhappy behind the 2 pairs but
> my other devices are just fine.  I.e., it doesn't matter whether I plug
> in the Uverse box or the Smart TV -- both of them work (individually) in
> the other room.  But if I put the switch there, the switch wont sync to
> the router.
>
> -derek
>
> --
>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745