[ale] destroy old drives

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Apr 11 09:51:52 EDT 2019

Or just use strong encryption on the data to begin with (non-trivial passphrases
or better, keys to unlock), then remove the headers.

And if you like, run ddrescue --force /dev/urandom /dev/sdZZZZZZZZZ for a few
hours or until it is full.

Using LUKS means never worrying about sending drives in for warranty replacement.

But shooting them is fun too.

If you are a large enterprise or DoD, what we think doesn't matter. They will
have policies.

For a medium-small biz or home outside DoD entanglements, the above works better
than what 99.9999% of your competition is doing.