[ale] destroy old drives

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Apr 10 20:30:32 EDT 2019

I think opinions vary on the effectiveness of DBAN, but nobody I've
ever met disputed that once all platters are reduced to pieces no more
than 1 inch square, the cost of recovery precludes anyone but a state
actor who has prioritized the daylights out of your data. To easily
be even more cautious, you could easily dispose of platter shards in
different places and different time periods.

DBAN and its category brethren strike me as things that work
wonderfully if used correctly, but I make mistakes. And what if the
drive was intermittent when DBANized?

And what if you accidentally DBANize the wrong drive?

And then there's this: What's the advantage of DBAN over a hammer?

SteveT