[ale] Favorite diag bootable images

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Sep 30 09:40:10 EDT 2018

Get a better distro.

Srsly, being able to boot from a flash drive using either legacy BIOS or UEFI
should "just work" these days.  If it doesn't, you need a better distro, IMHO.

Whether any flash drive and any USB2 port are compatible for booting is a
different question.  I've found no sure way to know.  Noname, brand name flash
doesn't matter. I've had problems booting from USB3, but most USB2 plugs in the
last 15 yrs can work, with the right flash media.

And don't forget that many laptops have SDHC slots. Those usually connect to the
same USB2 controller, so booting from them is possible too.  All those old 2G
SDHC cards are useful again!

And add a BS=1M  option to the dd command. Much faster.