[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Mon Oct 29 22:09:42 EDT 2018

Wow, this sure exploded.

I did federal IT for the first twelve years of my career - starting in
1986 (DoD/DoE). I've been a federal contractor and subcontractor in the
years since, and for the past several years I've had a view from the
sidelines at how CDC IT goes.

1980s DoD was a place where IT feds were expected to know what they were
doing; we ran and worked with the systems. A guy I worked with
identified a bug in VMS and dug through the source code on microfilm
(yes, we paid big $ to DEC for that) to run it down. I worked with the
local DEC field office to get repairs and updates done, but anything shy
of what their techs *had* to be called for, I was on the hook for
figuring out and/or fixing. As an aside, I think the most stunt-geeky
thing I ever did was to troubleshoot a dead disk controller (which was a
unit the size of a mini-fridge) by opening it up and discovering that a
paper sticker on an airflow sensor had worked loose and covered up the
inlet hole, making it think the blower had failed and shut down the
power supply.

We had fulltime on-site contractors in DoD, but 1) we outnumbered them
overwhelmingly 2) they were there for specific reasons, like as tech
experts on their employer's arcane or bespoke products. In DoE, the
circumstances were totally reversed: the federal overseers were greatly
outnumbered by contractors and the contractors didn't necessarily
appreciate being overseen very much. The more of an SME you were as a
fed, the more you were actually rather perceived as a threat, by and large.

The biggest difference between the way IT went in 1980s DoD and later on
was that the hardware, the OS, the compilers, much of the application
software, and most of the peripherals were all yoked together with the
vendor. It made a certain sense to have local support offices and pay
the vendors tons of money because the IT vendors foisted that scenario
on everyone. Most of the time, your vendor would have been IBM, DEC, HP,
Control Data, or DG. Maybe some Pr1me. I was still at DoD when SGI/Irix
dropped.

Then IT changed in four vitally important ways. First, hardware became
more commoditized, first with vendor-agnostic hardware/comm standards
(e.g., ISA/EISA, SCSI, Ethernet, TCP/IP) and then x86 hardware that
could run completely different OSses (the first x86 server hardware I
ever saw was badged Banyan to go with their excellent network OS, which
IIRC was based on a Unix variant called Interactive); hand in hand with
this was an explosion of application software vendors. Second (and
later), F/OSS made x86 hardware useful without having to open anyone's
pursestrings. Third: the sheer spread and democratization of computing
in industry, academia, and the home. Fourth: IT became like what
/Frampton Comes Alive/ did to the music industry; all of a sudden there
was Procter-&-Gamble-grade money to be made and perhaps more than any
other firm, Microsoft amplified revenue off their meager and creaky
offerings to previously unthinkable levels.

What I got pounded into me in federal IT was that you were supposed to -
actually, you were *duty-bound* to - do as much as you possibly can for
as little money as possible. This meant that if do to a given thing with
IBM cost X but to do that same thing with DEC cost 0.2X, then you darn
well had better go DEC...or, if yet another vendor could get you there
for 0.1X, then that's what you did. The federal competitive procurement
system was supposed to be designed to formalize that process so that the
various federal agencies were assiduously effective "stewards of
Taxpayer money" (yes, we'd capitalize that "T;" in recent years I have
had to train myself to stop capitalizing the "F" in "federal," which is
in no layperson's style guide anywhere but is routine within
government). That was the ideal anyway; the reality fell far short of
that, especially after those three big changes I alluded to above. For
one thing, federal policies drove the ever-increasing tendency to
contract out more and more of federal work across the board - generally
at increased cost to the Taxpayer. The problem is that the forces of
democratization, commoditization, the F/OSS movement, and standardizing
on standards instead of standardizing on vendor products run counter to
the idea of corporations making cubic megawatt-meter-newtons of money
not just when you first buy something but every quarter thereafter. And
so even though *none of it is even the least bit necessary to run good
IT anymore*, the old pay-vendor-in-perpetuity model remains. Fewer
people would get to have memberships at the really nice golf clubs
otherwise and Jaguar franchisees would languish.

I'll tell you what spooks me: the trend to privatize/cloud-ize DoD
computing resources. One of the things we always had in mind in DoD was
that we still needed to be able to have our computing resources
functional and performing as expected *even if the US were at war or
even under active attack*. The systems I ran would have been good to go
unless or until someone delivered ordnance to my raised-floor. I needed
no permission from any outside entity to process, store, or receive
data, and as long as we had electrical power and telecomm to our crews,
depots, etc. then we were self-sufficient enough to hold up our little
end of the nation's defense. What's funny to think about is that I'd
have about as much computing power available to me now as I had then if
I took a PCI-bus 486 server and put Linux on it.

F/OSS was supposed to free us from being beholden to corporations (i.e.,
pay them once and having to keep paying them in order to obtain
permission to continue functioning) in order to create and run
high-quality computing resources. Some sectors of society have embraced
that but others, including government, by and large have not.