[ale] [OT] Java License change

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Oct 29 15:05:52 EDT 2018

I'm not a developer, and my company doesn't do any java development, so the only exposure to oracle java is for purchased apps licensing is going to be their headache.
Unless specifically required, I usually installed openjdk.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Beddingfield, Allen via Ale" <ale at ale.org> 10/29/2018 2:05 PM >>>
I'm at a university (University of Alabama), so ours are all for
operating the university...  either vendor supplied or some internally
developed.
Allen B.

On 10/29/18 12:57 PM, Simba via Ale wrote:
> Curious, what app(s) do you build? I'm wondering if they're for sale or
> just internal use?
>
> I recently reviewed an application as a possible replacement for
> Helpdesk ticketing and ended up rejecting it because it's Java based..
> and I recently stopped paying for PHPStorm in favor of Sublime Text
> because PHPStorm is slow as hell (because it's Java based).
>
> Just food for thought, if your app is for sale.
>

> Simba Lion - https://tailpuff.net
> https://keybase.io/simbalion
>
> "Why is a raven like a writing desk?"
> On 10/29/18 12:47 PM, Beddingfield, Allen via Ale wrote:
>> Our app team is looking at a wholesale switch to OpenJDK.
>> Allen B.
>>
>> On 10/29/18 11:29 AM, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
>>> Hey all, looking for your thoughts on how Oracle's changes to the Java
>>> license will affect things. It looks like they are pushing to support
>>> contracts for businesses and supposedly users will fall under the gun
>>> in 2020.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Leam

Allen Beddingfield