[ale] [OT] Java License change

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Oct 29 14:12:35 EDT 2018

Note that this refers to Java 8, which was released in March 2014. Java 11 is the current release and it a LTS. I'm no fan of Oracle but this isn't as big a deal as some articles make it out to be.

We use the Oracle JVM sometimes, and OpenJDK more often. The main reason we use OpenJDK is around updates, but not this licensing issue. Getting updates from Oracle is kind of a pain--no repo or auto-update command. You have to go to their website, click through licenses, download it, and then in my case transfer it to the machine in question (since we don't have GUI or browsers installed), install, then update links. Unless I have to use Oracle, a "yum update" or "zypper update" is much handier.

I've also had very little or no issue running an application on a later version of Java. When I have had trouble, it's usually been someone using unpublished "sun.*" packages developers knew they weren't supposed to use.

Scott