[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Mon Oct 29 09:33:32 EDT 2018

Oh, and I forgot to mention:  Support for LONG term releases,
backporting of fixes, and rigid change control.
For example:  Want to upgrade from version 12.2 to version 12.3?  Better
start the approval process a year early...  document your testing plan,
provide a tested backout plan, have adequate testing documented and
verified by the proper people, pass the change control approval process
to go into a limited subset of test systems....wait the required time
for full deployment to test systems....wait the required time for
production rollout.
Or:  Want to apply an in-the-wild zero day exploit patch? Follow a
slightly faster variation of the above process.

The Debian or Ubuntu model will not pass the change control
requirements.  These are the reasons that SUSE and Red Hat backport
fixes into an old version of a package for seven+ years, instead of
incrementing the version.  That is why SUSE is still patching PHP 5.3.x
on SLES 11 SP4.

Allen B.