[ale] Thumb drive problem

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 18:10:07 EDT 2018

Finally made it home where I have access to more computers. It seems the
thumb drive no longer works in USB 3.0 "Super Speed" mode. I attached it to
an old USB 2.0 port and was able to successfully clone the drive via `dd`.
Whew!

Two things learned during this:

1. Try a USB 2.0 port if you experience this early ejection issue.
2. Disks "encrypted" via macOS's Disk Utility can be cloned via `dd
if=<drive> of=file.dmg` and then mounted to get around the encryption. Not
cool.