[ale] Coding Style

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Oct 15 13:01:06 EDT 2018

Back in the early 80s when I was first learning Bourne shell scripting, I was taught to use lower case for script variables. CAPS was strictly for environment variables and that was so they wouldn't conflict with local script variables. I do see a lot of scripts that use caps for all variables, so it doesn't seem to be a widely followed norm but it does make sense to me.

Separately, some languages have clear norms for this stuff. Almost everyone in Java land uses camel case with variables, methods and class attributes starting lower case, Classes starting upper case, and constants (public static final) being ALL_CAPS snake case. Indention and curly brace location is not quite as standardized from what I've seen.

Scott Plante ----- Original Message -----