[ale] Building Linux Workstation

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Oct 14 13:27:50 EDT 2018

Trying to be helpful. Hopefully someone else will correct anything I got
wrong.

That CPU doesn't have onboard graphics, so you'll need to buy a separate
GPU.  You can forget whatever the motherboard has for ports related to
video.  That only works with the 2200G and 2400G ryzens, which are slower.

The 2700X uses 105W.  The 2700 uses 65W. Is that worth considering?
Also, the non-X versions come with CPU coolers, so you'll need one of those.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/3958vs3957

If you have a nice case already, I wouldn't spend a dime on a new one.
Same for PSU, HDD, keyboard, mice, monitors.  Reuse what you have.

Ryzen is picky about RAM.  Only buy RAM from the approved parts provided
by the motherboard maker for the exact MB you buy.  RAM prices have been
dropping recently.  If you can wait 4 month more, they could be 30% less.

If you are a professional coder, doing compiles constantly, then you
should be buying a new CPU every year to get the 20% improvement in
performance.  The cost/benefit is clear.

As for video cards, any $40 card would be fine for your needs. The GPU
just needs h.264 and h.265 and mpeg2 hardware decoders with appropriate
drivers for your needs.  You don't need a $100 GPU and certainly don't
need a $400 one.  A $100 Core i3 onboard GPU is sufficient, but I agree
that Ryzen is better for compiles and virtual machines at the current
prices. In a few months, things might change.

You can check PCPartPicker.com for preexisting builds.  Just be aware
that RAM compatibility isn't validated to the level you need.