[ale] Anyone know about Safari?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:58:11 EDT 2018

I have a  python 2.7 CGI script using the cgi module running inside
lighttpd on a raspberry pi.  It works fine in firefox, chrome, and even the
browser that comes with Windows 10 (edge?).  In Safari and konquerer, the
CGI runs fine but the browsers won't render the HTML it prints.  Instead,
these two browsers print the output of my script as if it were text.  If I
run cgi.test(), they render the HTML correctly. If I purposely mung the
python script ( I have cgitb enabled), the errors render correctly. The
correctly rendered HTML and the HTML rendered as text both appear to lack
headers as  shown by view source in all browsers.  If I put my cgi-bin
output into a file named "foo.html", it renders correctly in all browsers (
I presume they are deducing that it is HTML by the file extension).   If I
put a "Content-Type: text/html" line into my  cgi-bin output, then firefox
and others offer to download the output of my script rather than displaying
it ( it has no effect on the behavior of Safari).

The web is silent on this matter.  Has anyone here experienced this?