[ale] CRITICAL LINUX FLAW OPENS THE DOOR TO FULL ROOT ACCESS (RHE)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue May 22 16:54:59 EDT 2018

On Sun, 20 May 2018 20:56:08 -0400
Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 08:33:45PM -0400, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> > So I let others say it. And isn't it interesting that the botched
> > shellscript and systemd are from the same folks, and they're the
> > folks who have no problem at all with bringing complexity to
> > GNU/Linux (soon to be systemd/Linux).
>
> Nevermind this bug predates systemd's existence, isn't the first time
> it's happened [1], and this particular issue (and the entire class)
> wouldn't have occurred had systemd's networking infrastructure been
> in use.
>
> I get you don't like systemd, but please, stick to the actual facts?

Fact: The botched shellscript and systemd ARE from the same folks,
Redhat, just like I said. I was sticking to the facts.

Fact: I never said anything about which predated the other, but as long
as we're playing the predating game, this smoking gun predates systemd:

http://asay.blogspot.ru/2006/10/interview-with-red-hat-cto-brian.html

Complexity as a profit center,  straight from the mouth of the then RH
CTO. We always knew about the means and opportunity, now we see, for a
FACT, the motive. Direct from a top Redhat exec. Perhaps if they'd spent
less juice complexifying systemd, they could have QA'ed their
shellscripts.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28