[ale] CRITICAL LINUX FLAW OPENS THE DOOR TO FULL ROOT ACCESS (RHE)

Alan Dobkin ALE at MaestroIT.com
Thu May 17 13:27:58 EDT 2018

On 5/17/2018 1:17 PM, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> On 05/17/2018 01:12 PM, Solomon Peachy wrote:
>> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 11:46:12AM -0400, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
>>> In the article, they talk about servers and mysql ... who would run
>>> those on dhcp? Serious question - who and why?
>> In networks I've administered, everything but the DHCP server and the
>> core routers has their (static!) addresses assigned via DHCP.
>
> Why?

I don't typically use DHCP to assign IP addresses to servers, but there
is certainly a management benefit to doing it that way if you have a lot
of them. For example, consider the case where you need to do a mass IP
change or change infrastructure like the gateway IP or DNS servers
across the board. With DHCP, it's as simple as making the change in one
place and then power-cycling the switch. Doing it manually could take
several hours otherwise. For host devices like servers and printers, I
would only use reserved IP addresses and assign very long lease time.
That way, DHCP traffic is minimal, and a DHCP server outage is pretty
much a non-issue.

Alan