[ale] OT: Microsoft "audit"

Michael Curtis mikewcurtis at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:45:53 EDT 2018

Having run large shops in the past there are two answers to this:
1) If you have an Enterprise Agreement they have the right to come in annually to true up against what you own and what you have deployed.  It’s in the print on the contract so there’s not much you can do but take it.

2) If the software is retail or acquired outside of a volume license then you can basically tell them to go to hell and come back with a warrant (I would refrain from that specific language but you get the idea).  As far as I am aware they have to show just cause as to why they want to audit you if they want to check your stance with non-volume licenses.  In this instance I would consult with corp legal ASAP and not let in the lobby.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
-Mike