[ale] Phew!!!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 15 11:35:44 EDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-05-15 at 11:29 -0400, Charles Shapiro via Ale wrote:
> Lightbound Hosting has is finally giving up on "Legacy" websites like
> mine.  They're going to a model which doesn't include ssh access by
> the end of June.  The VM they provide is now fabulously out of date
> and occasionally resource-starved enough to throw error messages like
> this:
>
> /home/cshapiro/bin/kill_dartspam.sh: /bin/egrep: /lib/ld-linux.so.2:
> bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
>
> /home/cshapiro/bin/kill_dartspam.sh: line 57: [: too many arguments
>
> /home/cshapiro/bin/kill_dartspam.sh: fork: Cannot allocate memory
>
> Fortunately, using my current access I managed to rsync and scp
> everything off the Lightbound server to a brand-new spiffin' AWS EC2
> server, where I have full access and control. I suspect this will
> also be a lot cheaper than the outrageous prices Lightbound was
> charging me as well.
>
> I've got email forwarding and all my Web Stuff working on the new
> server under the temporary public DNS name assigned by Amazon.  Looks
> like my next step is to reserve an  Elastic IP address for her,
> assign it to the VM's "public IP address", and then change my DNS to
> point to it.  After that, I believe I'll just need to go through my
> changes and change the old dns name ("ec2-NN-NN-NN-NN.compute-
> 1.amazonaws.com") to the correct one ("tomshiro.org").  Anyone else
> been through this?  Am I Missing a Step?  Is there Stuff I should
> Watch Out For?
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^amazon. 'nuff said.
I have a VPS through servermania. Ancient legacy account but current OS
- $50/year. Newer stuff is more but not by much.
OK. so I _also_ have a small pile of hardware in my basement that I can
use to heat my house with.
> -- CHS

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.