[ale] AMD EPYC CPUs?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 8 07:52:13 EDT 2018

Not yet. Eyeing some new servers from supermicro and digging in the couch for loose change. The raw specs are impressive. $/flop and flops/watt put them in the "absolute best value" class.

The server types at supermicro are rolling off the design sheets and into manufacturing pretty quickly. There's a specific one I'm waiting for: dual full-length gpu in a 1U with dual epyc cpu, 100G infinniband on board, and dual NVME drives plus 2.5" sas drives. I want a full rack of those less space for the IB switch. :-)

On May 7, 2018 11:24:25 PM EDT, "Beddingfield, Allen via Ale" <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>Any of you using these yet?
>As an AMD fan, I was glad to see Dell re-introducing AMD CPUs with the
>EPYC.  I'm wondering how they stack up against comparable Intel
>offerings?
>I'm thinking of ordering a few R7425s, which will be SUSE Linux
>Enterprise Xen or KVM virtualization hosts.  I haven't had my hands on
>one to experiment with yet.
>

>Allen B.
>--
>Allen Beddingfield
>Systems Engineer
>Office of Information Technology
>The University of Alabama
>Office 205-348-2251
>allen at ua.edu

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.