[ale] keyring public keyring secret keyring, the why what when and how

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:07:34 EDT 2018

Friends:

I have to do some work on keyrings and I need some help to get some
concepts down.  Most sites tell you how to use but not why

In an analogy with physical keyrings, I presume that  keyrings are nothing
but a container to hold on to keys.

Why the distinction between keyring and public keyring and secret keyring ?

What is the idea of having a secret keyring ?

===

If I have to provide my public key I need to export in armor format, is
that right ?

The public key has to be then imported by the person who wants to encrypt
and then it becomes a part of their key ring (the keyring of their choice
I presume)

Without importing the key I cannot encrypt the data by just providing the
pub file ?

=====

What is the idea behind signing and encrypting ?  Isnt encryping implicitly
signing ?

====

Any good article with pics is helpful.

-Narahari