[ale] How long until moving to Ubuntu LTS?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue May 1 14:56:22 EDT 2018

On 05/01/2018 12:57 PM, Jonathan Meek via Ale wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Just a quick question: For those who use Ubuntu, how long do you wait
> until you upgrade from LTS to the new LTS after the release? Do you wait
> for the xx.x.1 release or a few days after the release?

It depends.  I won't begin testing on 1 system until June. For example,
looked for an alternate installer today so I could use LVM and RAID.
The current installer doesn't support that and other non-trivial storage
setups, which makes it less useful for me.

The .1 release has ZERO to do with my delay, since sometimes the xx.xx
release gets 5 yrs of support and the .1, .2, .3, .4 releases only have
9 months.  I want 5 yrs. 6-9 months just isn't worth my time. If the .1
has 5 yrs, I'll probably move it it, if there is an issue in the .0
version that is kernel related.

For when I'll migrate old systems to the new release ... it depends.  I
moved (8) 14.04 systems to 16.04 in Feb '18.  If a system is working and
supported, why bother?  Why did I move to 16.04 then?  Because I didn't
want trouble finding help when things failed.  2 of the 8 systems had
failures that took multiple hours to resolve, BTW.  1 of those systems
is my main desktop and it still behaves funny sometimes in unpredictable
ways - center mouse click behaves differently (or is ignored) and I
haven't figured out what the root cause is.  Also have issues entering
different characters from different languages that hasn't been solved.

I still have a VM host running 14.04 today and 2 VMs.  After all, what
good is having 5 yrs of support if you don't use most of it?  The point
to not to screw with things that are working.

I probably won't stand up any new systems with 18.04 until after my
testing is done, which usually takes about 6 months. Sometimes it is
dependent on external project support which can take almost a year go be
available.

I never forget that new is the enemy of stable.