[ale] Slightly OT: LineageOs is like discovering Santa Claus is real!!

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Mar 28 11:35:14 EDT 2018

What model HTC?
You may be surprised.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Neal Rhodes via Ale <ale at ale.org> 3/28/2018 10:16 AM >>>
Ok, there is some linux and android in here.

We have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1,  P5113.  Yes, release 2012.
Which Samsung has declined to update since Android 4.3, and which has
been running slower and slower.

Even after a wipe and factory reset.    It spends about 50% of its CPU
running around in circles, often in kswapd0, even when nothing is
running, all apps have been removed, or a fresh reboot.

In the past, digging around on replacing Android seemed to lead through
this swamp of competing custom ROMs, endless threads of discussions,
conflicting instructions, eg - nothing that made one want to enter that
dark forest.

This last weekend, after another wipe and reset, I figured we had
nothing to lose.  Poking around I find LineageOS; apparently organized
by adults, ROMS organized by device, and complete instructions.

So, several hours later, I now have Android 6.   It's been running great
for 72 hours now.   Idling CPU usage is 4-8%.    Everything is much,
much faster.    GPS Apps like Maps.ME, Tom-Tom GO, or Waze that were
hopeless before now are plausible.   Wall Street Journal still dies on a
regular basis, but runs waaaaaay faster.

It's like we got a brand new notebook for almost free.

Granted, there were a few glitches in the instructions: Volume Up/Down
might be backwards,  The Heimdall Suite wouldn't install on Centos 6,
and wouldn't run on Windows 10, but did work on Windows 7,   and the
"standard" GApps package won't fit; got to use the Nano package.   But
all surmountable.

But overall, a great result.    Now, if they only had ROMS for my 10
year old HTC phone...

Neal