[ale] Stale NFS mounts - Switch to iSCSI?

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Mar 27 09:20:53 EDT 2018

I'd think you'd have a worse issue and more complexity with iSCSI.

I highly recommend autofs for filesystems that aren't in use a high percentage of the time.    If the exporting server goes down you see impact only on the servers where the mount is currently active.

If you're doing planned maintenance you can run a script from a central server to go to each of your other servers, unmount the share if mounted, then disable autofs.   After maintenance run another script that goes and re-enables autofs.   (No need to remount as autofs will do that when someone tries to access the shared filesystem.

For unplanned events you can resolve the hung NFS mount effect by running the "lazy" unmount (umount -l <filesystem>) on the affected host.   That works where "force (umount -f) doesn't.

Of course there are cluster shares like gfs available but that also has some complexity.