[ale] SB 315 Today's Committee Vote

Scott M. Jones eff at dragoncon.org
Thu Mar 22 19:02:01 EDT 2018

TL;DR:
Hack-back: still in (bad)

TOS exemption: in (good)

Protective amendment: out (bad)

+++++

Update (Mar. 22, 2018): On March 22nd, the House Judiciary Non-Civil
Committee voted in this version of SB 315,

https://www.ef-georgia.org/images/sb315/SB-315-8074S.pdf

changing 'and' to 'or' on line 18, and rejecting this amendment

https://www.ef-georgia.org/images/sb315/AM292793.pdf

which would have substantially expanded protections for threat research
in all of its forms. EFGA is opposed to rejection of the amendment and
will continue to fight the bill.  EFGA was unable to secure broad
protections needed to give confidence to the entire security research
community, so that they may continue to have a "safe space" to operate in.

The amendment lost by a very close vote, 7-5, which entitles the losing
party to a "minority report" (not related to the movie) which will give
a sympathetic representative up to 20 minutes to argue in favor of
amending or killing the bill that came out of committee on the floor
before the floor vote.

At this point we need to put our best arguments forward.  We need
specific information on the number of cybersecurity businesses in
Georgia and what the total economic value is, as well as any "war
stories" that prove the value of security research in our state,
including research from independent parties which may have a shade of
grey.  EFGA continues to worry that SB 315 will be used as an
intimidation method to suppress public vulnerability disclosure and will
create broad chilling effects in the area of threat research.

Time is of the essence!  SB 315 could be on the floor tomorrow (Friday)
morning or Monday, so we need to get information ASAP.  Please forward
any supporting information or statements directly to me and I will get
the information to our legislative contact as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Scott M. Jones
Electronic Frontiers Georgia