[ale] VPN recommendations?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Mar 16 11:44:03 EDT 2018

On 03/16/2018 10:32 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:04:24 -0400
> DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>

>> I run my own VPN at home, for when I'm away.  It uses openvpn AES256
>> and works just like the VPN services.  Works surprisingly well for my
>> 15/3 slow-ass connection.
>
> Why wouldn't everybody do your openvpn solution for when they're on the
> road?

I can think of a few good reasons, but mainly, you just don't want to tie your
current location with your home location.

A few other reasons NOT:

Sometimes you might be in a location that you really don't trust - even with a
VPN and wouldn't want to provide access to your HOME LAN for any attackers.

Getting openvpn working seems to be non-trivial due to all the configuration
options.

Perhaps the home has poor internet or poor power? Needing to use a VPN, but not
being able to connect will likely lead to poor security choices.

Not everyone is comfortable running a server from their home. They might believe
that the ToS from their ISP prohibits it for personal use, which I don't believe
is the case, but everyone has to follow their conscience.  Personal use is fine,
even for residential accounts based on conversations I've had with ISPs over the
decades.

Not everyone wants to leave **any** computer running at home when they aren't there.

There are other reasons NOT to host from any specific location, as with most
choices.