[ale] Meet the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:29:26 EDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 12:26 PM, Alex Carver via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On 2018-03-14 08:38, Solomon Peachy via Ale wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 11:18:12AM -0400, Scott M. Jones via Ale wrote:
> >> The new gigabit network chip makes it almost plausible for router,
> >> firewall, and access point applications.
> >
> > Great, so the nice shiny new gigabit ethernet controller is still
> > attached to the same busted-ass, flaky-as-all-hell USB OTG controller
> > that falls over more than Frodo Baggins.
> >
> > But all in all, a nice set of improvements.
> >

> Define flaky?  The LAN9514 (in the older Pi) is not an OTG controller to
> start.  It's just the USB hub with an Ethernet PHY attached to one
> internal port.  The newer controller has six downstream ports.  The
> datasheet isn't available yet from Microchip.
>
> Both controllers are heat sensitive so I would suspect any issues people
> have might actually be thermal in nature.  The Pi boards did not do much
> to control heat (though the new Pi 3 apparently improves it a bit).  If
> you put a good sized heat sink on the LAN9514 (and also on the Broadcomm
> SoC) everything is quite stable.

I have several that I have build retropie for the kids and they work great.
I use a couple for pen tesing with Kali, no issue. Though, I love more
memory, 2 GB would be nice.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.