[ale] Vagrant: was Behind on your "Container Skills"

Ted W. ted-lists at xy0.org
Sat Jan 27 00:03:57 EST 2018

Personally, I find I like containers for any use case where I'd think to
use Vagrant. The exception to that being building kernel modules. Since
containers are going to have the same kernel as the host system building
an RPM for a module from a vendor with instructions similar to

`rpmbuild -ts totally_not_an_intel_driver.tar.gz`

can be tedious when you need it on a different kernel. I could see
Vagrant being helpful for that.

My main issue with it is the battery drain and piggishness of VMs in
general. When possible, if I'm on my laptop, I try to avoid running
them. Sure you can use one of the cloud hosting providers but I guess
for me it's not really my go-to for cloud provisioning since most of the
time I'm using terraform already for that.