[ale] Slightly OT: System default python version

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Jan 25 10:13:01 EST 2018

There are some big differences in handling strings and byte arrays that
will eat one's lunch.  There are quite a few built-in functions that
were removed in v3 and/or changed to be quite different.

I highly recommend "Practical Python porting for systems programmers"
by Peter A. Donis and Eric S. Raymond.

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/practical-python-porting/

That document offers some strategies for making your python code
compatible with both v2 and v3.  It is not simple.