[ale] Gearing up for the future (wuz: boot speed, systemd, vi vs emacs, etc)

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Feb 19 15:54:42 EST 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 12:50:57PM -0500, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> One thought. Systemd was not the result of a meritocracy: It was
> financed by Redhat, who, as a purveyor of training and consultants, has
> everything to gain by a universally more complex GNU/Linux. During the
> coup, Redhat must finance the development and troubleshooting of
> systemd, and it doesn't come cheap.

To paraphrase something you said to me earlier in this thread, your
opinions (and those of others!) don't count as facts.

So, respectfully, [citations needed].

Also, you forget that in a meritocracy, those who do the actual work get
to determine the future.  The systemd authors (including many not
actually paid by redhat) put the work in.  Nobody else has.

Well, except arguably for Devuan -- they at least put their money where
their mouth was and forked Debian.  Unfortunately they haven't actually
put in any effort where it actually matters; that is working with the
various upstreams to maintain and support the non-systemd codepaths that
were barely functional before systemd even came along.

Ironically, for a distro forked to "maintain init system freedom", they
actually provide *less* choice than what they forked from.  Their sole
differentiating feature is the outright removal of libsystemd.so from
filesystems; the "alternative" inits that are the raison d'etre for
Devuan aren't supported any better there than upstream Debian.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^