[ale] Gearing up for the future (wuz: boot speed, systemd, vi vs emacs, etc)

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:55:11 EST 2018

> On Feb 19, 2018, at 2:15 PM, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
> Looks to me like Silicon Valley is the enemy….  I don't trust most smartphone apps
> that want network access or access to contacts or local files or
> calendars or ... anything they aren't directly supposed to make use of
> either...
> I've learned from mistakes made in the past when data I didn't consider
> sensitive got out AND was abused.  I may be old, but I do learn.

Ummm… none of this was about you.

I’m telling you what is evolving out of the valley, not what you should do.  I’m giving some insight as to what is being baked into standard operating procedures, being included into site reliability engineering, DevOps practices, and security departments and shared among the big company IT and security departments that WILL eventually make its way down to the company on the corner of any appreciable size because of the pervasive nature of actual best practices applied to our discipline.

 I’m taking my time to let you guys and gals out there know some of the things that are bringing the highest salaries (many in excess of 150k RIGHT HERE in Atlanta), and the technologies and skillsets necessary to get them. As many on this very group will attest, I have assisted some in getting interviews, jobs, training, resources, etc.  I’m trying to help as much as I can, and the thrust of what I deal with as part of my job was germane to the direction of the conversation.

If you want no part of it, think you know better, have all the answers, etc., that’s fine, but keep your condescending ingratitude to yourself.

—j