[ale] Why systemd vs sysvinit really doesn't matter to me

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Feb 19 08:47:35 EST 2018

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 08:12:44PM -0500, Damon L. Chesser via Ale wrote:
> I am with him.  I just don't care.  That is an opinion, not a dilemma.  I
> also don't like watermelon.  Nothing to argue about here.  If you like
> watermelon, eat it.  If you want init $FOO use it.  I just don't want it
> (particularly, I mean, you need some sort of init) or really even care about
> it (which init is used), as long as I can us the Linux (GNU or otherwise)
> when it it booted.

From the "objector's" perspective, they are being "forced" to use
systemd against their wishes.  And, somewhat understandably, they don't
like that.  (Or in the case of Devuan, "forced" to have libsystemd
physically present on their system)

"init system freedom" (to borrow the nonsensical Devuan catchphrase),
much like the other "freedoms" that Linux is supposedly about, applies
to those who *put together* Linux systems.  As soon as you use the
system that someone else has put together, you're restricted by the
choices *they* made.  If you don't like those choices, you're perfectly
free (and encouraged) to DIY and roll your own reflecting your own
choices/needs.

Can that be a lot of work?  Absolutely.  But if one's not willing to
undertake that effort for themselves, one doesn't get to complain about
someone else not being willing do that work either -- at least if no
money is changing hands.

  https://lwn.net/Articles/734038/

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^