[ale] Why systemd vs sysvinit really doesn't matter to me

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Sun Feb 18 18:31:06 EST 2018

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 06:13:26 PM Steve Litt via Ale wrote:

> > Don't slackware get no love anymore?
>
> Yes. My mistake for not mentioning Slackware as one of the sans-systemd
> distros. I'd imagine Slack is a VERY good distro for the DIY person.

It definitely is DIY, but so is Arch. I've been using it on the desktop and in
labs for years, and am working towards putting it on most of my servers. I
dabbled with FreeBSD for prod, but its learning curve is a little too steep...
as a trade-off, I can wrangle Slackware and be happier a lot quicker.

Slack's perennial problem is 3rd-party package mangling. The base OS (you
always want to install full package sets, if not the entire DVD) is great, but
while sbopkg and sbotools are handy, the slackbuilds universe is a moving
target. Where I'm at now, having decided to not pursue FreeBSD, is compiling
and configuring my own set (slackbuilds plus cpan), with the next step being
hosting that as a repo, pulled in via slackpkg+. I think this is about the
worst aspect of using Slackware... having to be a build maintainer. I'd much
rather yum, apt-get or pkg install foo and let others fight with compiling
software.

--
Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant