[ale] [systemd] Boot speed

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Feb 17 21:22:42 EST 2018

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 20:40:56 -0500
leam hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 8:16 PM, Damon L. Chesser via Ale
> <ale at ale.org> wrote:
> > Least you think I am on the systemd side:  I agree with what you
> > wrote.  My Arch system takes for ever (subjectively) to boot, maby
> > 20 to 30 sec AFTER I give the encrypted password, then I have to
> > wait what feels like an eternity to get my NIC to find an IP and
> > initialize (wither or not static or DHCP is used).  I am soooooo
> > glad systemd fixed that boot speed issue.  OTHO, eh. Not really
> > that big of a deal for me to dig into it and fix it.
>
> Hey Damon.
>
> I probably thought that at first, but your point about paying the
> bills is valid. If worked switched to a systemd based OS next week I'd
> switch and suck it up. And mumble a bit.

Gotta pay the bills, no doubt about it. Systemd is such a mess it
presents a huge opportunity for trainers. If I were offered a systemd
trainer job for the right money, I'd shut up and systemd. I'd even use
it at home, to get home experience with my work systems.

None of which means I'd believe in systemd. I'd just laugh all the way
to the bank. This was the world I lived in when I was a developer in
the Windows world.

But I'd think twice about criticizing the character, ability or opinion
of systemd rejecters. Because in my heart I'd know they're right.

SteveT