[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Feb 16 16:43:29 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 04:14:39PM -0500, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
> I'm confused on this, but it's likely just the pain from a recently pulled
> tooth. What is the use case for multiple physically logged in users? Didn't
> that already work?

Multiple simultaneous physical (graphical) sessions didn't really work,
at least not without a lot of careful hand-configuration and even then
the secrity between them was quite brittle due to requiring a lot of
things to run as root.

Two features in particluar made this work more recently -- proper cgroup
support up and down the stack (eg systemd/logind in userspace, and
more kernel subsystems implementing cgroups properly) and KMS allowing
for the X server to not have to run as root.

(Personally I think the whole idea is a bit daft, but evidently there
 are a lot who disagree with me...)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^