[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 14:52:21 EST 2018

On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 14:09 -0500, leam hall via Ale wrote:

> Pretty sure I'm covered by "prior art" like "Linux World"
> conferences,
> "Linux Journal" magazine, and at least a few "Linux" books". While
> the
> GNU folks have my undying appreciation I find Richard Stallman's
> insistence on prepending "GNU/" in front of everything to be sad. It
> seems like someone doing a great job and then yelling at you about
> how
> great a job they did instead of letting you look and say "Wow, what a
> great job!"

Were it not for the work of GNU, there would be no Linux. Stallman has
been rather clear in my recollection that a GNU/Linux name refers to
the system as a whole. Linux refers to the kernel.
Stallman may present himself as a crazy old coot, but he's "our crazy
old coot". Compare him to Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, Woz,
Joy, etc. All the others had a huge impact on the business side of
technology, i.e., they made a shit ton of money. Stallman changed the
world in a tiny, subtle way that led to a paradigm shift of development
that led to Linux that led to now.
I think it should be proudly and loudly called GNU/Linux as long as he
is alive and probably for years afterwards. I've fed my family thanks
to what he started.

> Leam
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.