[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Feb 16 13:52:02 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 12:06:38PM -0500, leam hall via Ale wrote:
> If you need containers and micro-virtualization below the level of
> "OS" then something like systemd could be useful. From a standpoint of
> the many things that made Linux great, as a kernel and a concept,
> systemd is not a good thing.

Pray tell, what exactly is the "concept" of Linux?

I can all but guarantee that no matter how you answer that, the
overwhelming majority of the >2 billion Linux systems deployed don't
conform to or otherwise embody any of it.  (Nor, I might add, do they
use systemd)

And a follow-up question -- With your answer in mind, why did Linux
succeed (or achieve "greatness") as opposed to, say, one or more of the
BSDs?  After all, the latter had a considerable head start, in both
mindshare and technical capability.

(I'm asking these questions as someone who is responsible for ~20K lines
 of code in the Linux kernel, has put together embedded distributions
 from scratch, and done Cloudy DevOps things a decade before those
 terms entered the lexicon.)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^