[ale] Slightly OT: System default python version

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 16:59:16 EST 2018

Not really. Using something like pyenv or rvm adds complication that
may or may not work. If they are a student then reduction in
complexity directly impacts learning potential.

Few students are going to start coding at a level that the system's
base can't take them. Once the initial skills are gained, along with
confidence and a liberal dose of desire, add the packages and
virtualization of pyenv or rvm. Until then it is more likely to cause
the student to use a different language or to drop programming
completely.

Except when you watch people on IRC swear pyenv/rvm is easy but the
HOWTO pages they point you to don't work and they have no clue. Then
it's sort of funny in a sad way.

I've been doing this for a while and still don't care to use pyenv/rvm/whatever.