[ale] The future of the operating system

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:00:58 EST 2018

On 12/20/18 10:24 AM, Jonathan Meek wrote:
> It would be an interesting experiment to have it hosted on openBSD.

I thought about this more after I wrote it. I enjoyed NetBSD back in my
Sparc days, way too fast! The "portable code" thing was enticing as
well. OpenBSD's security focus, if you ignored issues with Theo, was a
good selling point.

That said, I don't really know enough about the network stacks and
defensive configurations to get much past the hype. IN THEORY they are
better for infrastructure appliance type things like mail, DNS, etc.

In practice, absent systemd, I think a Linux based trimmed down
configuration could provide much of the same benefits as Open/NetBSD.
Maybe not to 100% but close. Something like "Linux From Scratch"
specifically configured for performant and secure networking.

My gut feel is that commercial server grade Linux will wane as
containers grow, and the container host OS will become more important.
Given Rich Kulawiec's commentary on security, the elimination of "unused
capabilities" in an OS image is a good thing. Containers would seem to
do that well. A container OS would be a different beast than a general OS.

So, to those of you who know more; can a Linux build be customized to be
as secure by default is OpenBSD and as network stack performant as
NetBSD? What do you see as the 5-10 year future of the server OS?