[ale] Replacing shared host?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu Dec 20 03:44:40 EST 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 07:53:02AM -0500, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
> Thoughts and recommendations?

I strongly recommend Panix (panix.com).  They're extremely clueful
(and that's not something I say often), their prices are sensible,
and they run a very high quality operation.  Their support is superb.
(That's also not something I say often.)   And on top of that, they're
highly proactive: more than once, something has been fixed or patched
before there was time for it to be a problem, often before I even
knew it was going to be a problem.

I'm trying out a couple of others but haven't accrued enough
experience yet to decide whether to recommend them to others.

I strongly recommend against Digital Ocean and Choopa/Vultr: they're very
poorly-run operations, and as a result of that, they've been noticed.
And not in a good way.  (It is never a good sign when I recognize an
operation's name immediately because there are entries for it in my
MTA configuration and/or firewalls.)

Like many other things, this is one of those areas where you get what you
pay for.  Skimping to support a dubious operation is not only inevitably
bad for you, it's bad for everyone else -- because you're propping up
people who shouldn't be running a 1U, let alone a data center.

---rsk