[ale] Ubuntu 18.04 release notes

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 10:40:49 EDT 2018

(There are 2 kinds of people in the world - those who can extrapolate from
incomplete data,)

.vimrc fixes *my* confusion, but not those from others doing it.  And the
makefile example is exactly why.

And config files are the worst place for this, since they will be edited.
Source code stops being edited before its tested, so any issues can be
found before deployment.  But a config file will always be edited onsite by
someone not part of the development team, so any space/tab mixup they have
in their editor will raise its ugly head

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 9:45 AM DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On 04/28/2018 08:21 AM, Pete Hardie via Ale wrote:
> > I feel the main issue is that "space" and "tab" are
>
> Trivially handled by .vimrc files.
>    :set tabstop=4 shiftwidth=4 expandtab
>

> The main files I know that need tabs to work are Makefiles. There are
> probably others, just not things I use.
>
> Plus the code reformat tool should handle tabs, spaces and indents at
> check-in time anyway.

Pete Hardie
--------
Better Living Through Bitmaps